I love this potato salad and actually have book-marked to do the Japanese Potato Salad but keep forgetting to buy the Japanese mayonnaise. Ann's potato salad looks very much like the Japanese Potato salad so I decided to adapt hers for convenience to ingredients availability.
Recipe source: Anncoo Journal
2 Russett potatoes, about 500g
1/2 Japanese cucumber, about 50g cut into quarter and slice thinly
1/2 carrot, about 50g. cut into quarter and slice thinly,
1 Hard boiled egg
1 slice Ham, cut to small strips
4 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise or any brand (I used Kraft Mayonnaise)
1/4 tsp Salt and a dash of pepper
- Sprinkle some salt over the the sliced cucumber for about 20-30 minutes. This will make the cucumbers crunchy. Rinse, drain and squeeze dry, set aside.
- Peel potato skins and cut into small pieces. Put water in a pot and add enough water to submerge the potatoes. Boil for about 10 minutes or until potatoes softened.
- Meanwhile rinse egg with water and boil to cook with a pinch of salt water. Remove cooked egg and throw in sliced carrot into the same pot of water. Simmer carrot for a minutes till soft. Drain and leave to cool. Remove egg shell and mash the egg with a fork in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mash cooked potato with a fork, leaving some chunks behind. Leave to cool.
- Add carrot, cucumber, egg and ham into the mashed potato bowl, mix well.
- Add 4 tablespoons of mayannaise and 1/4 teaspoon of salt with a dash of pepper or season to taste.
- Mix well and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or when you're ready to use.