Despite the horrible heat, I did had a good time in the kitchen measuring the flour, butter, sugar, etc. I should say another baking spree - I repeated the green tea cheese cake and potato tarts at the request of my niece on Easter Friday and also to share the great banana cake I baked last week end.
Today, at the comfort of my home, I baked this light and soft pumpkin cake. The natural sweetness from the pumpkin was a bonus in this cake.
Recipe Source: Small Small Baker
Pumpkin Chiffon Cake 南瓜戚风蛋糕
Ingredients (makes one 22cm chiffon tin, half the recipe for 16cm chiffon tin)
4 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
60g vegetable oil
60g coconut milk * (I use fresh milk)
80g pumpkin, diced, steamed and mashed
120g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
some pumpkin seeds (I omitted this)
4 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar (I omitted)
* You can replace coconut milk with milk + 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon or ground nutmeg
1. Whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt until the sugar dissolves.
2. Gradually add in vegetable oil, followed by coconut milk. Add in mashed pumpkins, mix well.
3. Fold in sifted cake flour and baking powder until well-mixed. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add in sugar gradually and continue whisking until stiff peak form.
5. Gently fold in the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3) in 3 batches. Lastly, add in pumpkin seeds.
6. Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon tin. Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 40 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack.
8. Unmould the cake only when it is completely cool.