I have been waiting to bake this cake for a long time, each time I tried to do something that will only call for egg yolks so that I can use the egg whites for this. Finally, I got this baked - its so easy and delicious with the sweet aroma of Kahlua/coffee. For those coffee lovers, you will certainly love this.
I shared some with my colleagues this morning, and she say "fantastic cake" ....
Recipe source from Anncoo Journal
Ingredients: (from Donna Hay's magazine Aug/Sep '09 issue)
2 tbsp Plain flour, sifted
40g Icing sugar
30g Almond meal
2 tsp Instant coffee powder
40g Butter, melted
2 Egg whites ~ 80g
1/4 cup Kahlua coffee liqueur
- Preheat oven to 180C (335F). Place the flour, sugar, almond meal, coffee, butter and egg whites in a bowl and mix well combine with a hand whisk.
- Spoon mixture into 6 lightly greased or use cooking spray on medium size muffin pan or 12 mini muffin pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Drizzle with the liqueur (about 1/2 tablespoon on each cake) and set aside for 2 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool.
- Decorate with chocolate icing on top (I used Wiltion chocolate icing) or just dust with some icing sugar.
- You can serve them warm or store it in an airtight container for 2-3 days.