Just amazed of the reaction of mixing butter, eggs, sugar and flour could produce such beautiful muffins - soft and moist and so addictive.
I made the first batch and I just couldn't stop at one and one portion only yields about nine muffins and I have deposited two at one go, I don't have much left for tomorrow's breakfast. To satisfy my palate, I whisk another batch of these great muffins where I am free to enjoy/indulge without feeling guilty about sinking my teeth into more than two pieces....
Recipe source: Anncoo Journal
ORANGE MUFFINS WITHOUT BUTTERIngredients:
3 egg yolks
35g fresh orange juice
Orange zest from one large orange
70g natural yogurt
80g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking power
a pinch of salt
3 egg whites
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until white at medium speed and add orange juice, natural yogurt and mix well.
- Remove bowl from machine, add in sifted flour (plain flour, corn flour, and baking powder) and mix well with a hand whisk, follow by orange zest, mix well again.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar until soft peak form.
- Fold in 1/4 of egg whites to egg yolk mixture with a rubber spatula until well mixed and fold in remaining egg whites in two batches.
- Scoop batter into muffin liners to 3/4 full and place them on a baking tray.
- Bake at preheated oven at 170C for about 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Bang the baking tray together with the small cakes on the counter top 2-3 times once they are cooked as this will prevent the cake shrinkage. Leave to cool and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.