I was very attracted to the smooth and nice golden color of this pumpkin cake when I first saw it at Table for 2… or more and I shelved it because I don't know where to buy those pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top. Then last week I chanced upon Nasi Lemak Lover’s pumpkin butter cake and was reminded of the pumpkin cake which I have in my to-bake-list. Finally, I get to trying this cake and clear some of the almond flaks in the fridge.
I love the natural sweetness from the pumpkin and the smooth texture of this cake. Besides, Pumpkin is incredibly rich in vital anti-oxidants and vitamins. This humble backyard vegetable is very low in calories yet good source of vitamin A, flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants like leutin, xanthins and carotenes.
This is a healthy cake to indulge in without feeling guilty .... :)
Pumpkin Velvety Butter Cake
Recipe adapted from Wendy and Sonia
180gm sugar (I reduce from original recipe 200g)
1/4tsp Vanilla essence
5 large eggs
300gm cake flour sifted together with 1 tsp baking powder
200gm soft steamed pumpkin flesh (use a fork to mash it)
Handful almond slices
1. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and creamy.
2. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Add in half of sifted flour, on low speed then beat until well combined.
4. Put in pumpkin, combine well.
5. Put in remaining flour and beat until just combined.
6. Pour batter into lined 8” round baking pan and sprinkle with almond slices.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180c for 50 minutes or until done when tested with a skewer.