I have been wanting to clear the small quantity of frozen blueberries in the fridge... waiting, thinking what to do with it and I stumbled upon this small loaf of blueberry cake from Simply Hanushi which calls for only 70g of frozen blueberries. Perfect recipe to clear the blueberries.
This cake is very soft and moist and and it gives a very refreshing flavour with the added lemon zest.
Recipe adapted from Simply Hanushi and Eileen Lee
Blueberry Lemon CakeAdapted from: Easy Cakes by Linda Collister
Ingredients (Makes a 9-inch loaf)125 g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
100 g sugar
1 1/2 tsp lemon zest, grated
2 extra-large eggs
Pinch of salt
110 g self-raising flour (I used 110g plain flour and 1 tsp baking powder)
70 g frozen blueberries
Some icing sugar for dusting
1. Put the butter in an electric mixer and beat at low speed until creamy. Increase the speed and gradually beat in the sugar, followed by the lemon zest.
2. Put the eggs and salt in a large measuring cup with a lip, beat lightly, then add to the creamed mixture, 1 tablespoon or so at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1 tablespoon flour with the last 2 portions of egg to prevent the mixture from separating.
3. Sift the rest of the flour onto the mixture and gently fold in with a large metal spoon. When you no longer see streaks of flour, mix in the blueberries.
4. Transfer to the greased pan and spread evenly. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully invert onto a wire rack and let cool completely. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
5. Store in an airtight container and eat within 5 days.
Smile and feel good,
Frown and feel glum