Ingredients for Stuffed Golden Purses (Braised stuffed tofu, makes 6)
3 squares of Dao Gua (pressed tofu)
250g fresh ground pork (can be replaced with any meat of your choice)
100g fresh prawns, peeled, devined and dice small
3 dried mushrooms, soaked till soft and diced small
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsp diced green onion
salt & pepper
2 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp cornflour
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup of water with 1 tsp cornflour mixed in)
- For the pressed tofu, take one and cut diagonally into 2 triangles, repeat for the other two tofu. The using a spoon, scoop out the a cavity in the cut surface, about 1 tbsp worth, see picture. (Those scooped out tofu can be added into the filling if desired.)
- In a mixing bowl, add in all the ingredients for the filling and marinate. Mix well and let sit for at least an hour in the fridge before use.
After an hour, fill the tofu cavity with the filling and try to stuff it full so it will look nice and packed.
- Pat the stuffed tofu some cornflour and heat up a frying pan with about 1 cup of cooking oil.
- Pan fry the tofu till golden brown, dish up and drain on paper towels.
- Pour away the oil the pan and lower the heat to small. In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients in seasoning and pour into the pan and let it simmer till it thickens a little. Add in the stuffed tofu and let it coat with the seasoning sauce. After 2 to 3 minutes, dish up and sprinkle some fresh chopped green onions over as garnish if desired.
You may want to pop over to Honey Bee Sweets' blog for a more detailed methods of preparing this dish.