This is a simple stir-fry dish that goes very well with white rice.
Recipe adapted from Noobcook
- 200g boneless chicken fillets, cut to bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, de-seeded and cut to bite-sized wedges
- 1/2 green bell pepper, de-seeded and cut to bite-sized wedges
- 2 tsp dried fermented black beans (rinsed, patted dry & mashed slightly with a fork)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 slices ginger, finely chopped
- 2 chilli padi, thinly sliced (adjust or omit to your preference)
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Chinese wine (Shao Hsing or Hua Tiao)
- 1 tsp corn starch
Sauce (mix well):
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp hot bean sauce/la dou ban jiang (辣豆瓣酱), optional (I omitted)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
1. Combine chicken with marinade for at least 15 minutes.
2. In a wok, heat oil and stir fry bell pepper wedges until cooked, about 2 minutes. Set aside on a plate.
3. Using the remaining oil, stir fry fermented black beans, shallots, garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Add chicken pieces and stir fry until the surface is cooked, about 2 minutes.
5. Add sauce ingredients, mix well, cover the lid and simmer for about 3 minutes.
6. Thicken the sauce with cornstarch solution. Return and stir in cooked bell peppers to coat evenly in the sauce.