The combination of lemon juice and cranberry - sourish-sweet is the taste of this cake. It is very soft and moist too.
Recipe with courtesy from Anncoo Journal
5 egg yolks
40g caster sugar
65gm canola oil/salad oil
2 tsp lemon juice
130g plain flour (sieved)
130g natural yogurt
lemon zest from one lemon
7 egg whites
90g caster sugar
95g dried cranberries (cut to small pieces and sprinkle with 1/2 tbsp plain flour)
- In a large bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar, flour and oil well with a hand whisk. Add lemon juice, lemon zest and yogurt's and mix well again.
- Whisk egg whites till frothy, gradually add in the sugar, continue beating till egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Use a hand whisk to mix 1/3 whites with yolk mixture.
- Gently fold in the rest of the whites with a spatula till well combined.
- Lastly, fold in the cranberries.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners up to 3/4 full evenly and bake at 180C for 15 minutes, then lower to 160C for another 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Invert cake immediately on a wire rack to cool completely before unmoulding.