A hearty meal can be made in minutes with chicken nuggets and tomato ketchup ...
I saw this classic sweet and sour chicken in the newspaper on Thursday and was very much won over by the 'appetising' photo. Those days when one is lazy and run out of ideas of what to cook, this is indeed a tasty dish to consider.
This eliminates the steps of marinating the meat, making a batter, coating the meat and frying it - that's before you even start on the sauce.
12pcs chicken nuggets
6tbsp tomato ketchup
3tbsp fine sugar
1tsp white vinegar (I omitted)
A pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp corn flour
1tbsp cooking oil
1 red onion, large dice
1 yellow pepper, large dice
1 red pepper, large dice
1 tomato, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Place chicken nuggets on a foil-lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and set aside (I deep-fried them)
- Place tomato ketchup, sugar, 4 tbsp water, white vinegar and salt in to a bowl and stir to mix. Set aside.
- Mix cornflour with 2 tbsp water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Fry onion and peppers for 3 minutes, or until they start to color slightly.
- Add sauce and stir to mix well. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the sauce comes to a boil.
- Add corn flour mixture and stir so that the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add nuggets and tomato. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Remove to a plate and serve immediately.
(If you want to tweak it to make it spicier, you could also add two tbsp of chili sauce).