For receipe reference, see here
Ingredients (Serves 2)
300g pork ribs
1 bittergourd (around 400g)
1 to 2 carrots, peeled and cut to small chunks
2 honey red dates
10 pitted red dates
1 tbsp wolfberries, soaked in water till puffy
1200 ml water- sea salt
1. Blanch pork ribs in boiling water for about 5 minutes, to remove the scum so that you have clear soup later.
2. Cut the bittergourd in half lengthwise, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds, and cut into large chunks (see second photo). Using one of the large chunks, slice and set aside some thin bittergourd slices for step 4.
3. In a large soup pot, add water, red dates, blanched pork ribs, carrots and large bittergourd chunks. When the water comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
4. Five minutes before you turn off the flame, add the soaked wolfberries and thin bittergourd slices. Season with salt. Serve with steamed rice.
1. After simmering for 20-30 minutes, taste the soup. If it’s too bitter, add one or two more honey red dates to your liking.
2. If you want to reduce the bitterness of the bitter gourd before cooking, you can rub a small amount of salt on the bitter gourd after removing the seeds, and then rinsing off the salt with water.